Wednesday, October 28, 2015

27th October!Why you should know this date.

27th of October is considered as " World Occupational Therapy Day " by the World Federation of Occupational therapy(WFOT) since 2010 .The World Federation of Occupational Therapists (WFOT) is the international voice of the occupational therapy profession which globally comprises of 80 national occupational therapy professional organizations.Their aim is to integrate all the nations on one platform to promote their work to reach out to larger masses and make a difference in the society to embrace each one who is considered different with an open heart to walk towards independence!


Seven years down the line when i stepped in to this profession i was clueless to where it would lead me.On an honest side i was always fascinated to relate the noble medical profession with the CPCR ,scalpels ,stents  and a stethoscope.But little did i know the other side of the medical faculty and the hands that heal through touch.I am glad to be enveloped in to this other side of the team .Today when I turn back , I know why 'Almighty' chose me for this noble work.This profession has transformed me in to an individual that my parents are proud of .AH!. Truly hospital life teaches you a millions of lessons that are beyond books and words.It has made me understand sufferings and get close to humans and humanity .Each person on the medical faculty holds the highest position because he makes an attempt to fill the lost hope and rejuvenate life! And so i place my profession to an equal height because it deserves to be there .
It is rightly said that "You know the value of a privileged possession more so after you loose it"!But as an occupational therapist i will never let you sink in to that feeling because my job is not about prescribing medicines or running in to emerg but making you stand , smile and walk with pride!My job is to make you live once again when you give up on it.I am here to make you believe that no matter what comes by your way or what name society gives you either differently abled or disabled i will make you stand at par with all. I am here to lead you to a healthy,successful and a quality life .

I am proud to be on the board of medical faculty and what defines me to be an "Occupational therapist' is not merely my degree but my attitude to bring out the "Abliity from Disability!"

P.S: I have not putting in any medical terminology in this post to make it heavier but i want to convey that this profession is an allied medical faculty that deals with rehabilitation post any kind of  physical or mental illness.We not only treat adults but children having developmental delays due to any natal or pre-natal complications or other genetic conditions that need our intervention.We also deal with children having neuro-psychiatric issues like ASD i.e Autism spectrum disorders .We have different treatment interventions and therapy techniques which we study for four and half years in  bachelors and extend our specialization for three years in masters.Currently i am pursuing my elective in neurology.
A humble request ,if you know of any patient presenting with physical or psychological ailment restricting him to live independently in the society , kindly send a referral because each individual has the right to live a content life!
-SSW

No comments:

Post a Comment

I stopped Writing...

Why i stopped writing and then withered down with no words to carve  on the narrations of  so many perspectives At times it is therapeutic a...